Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Decisions, decisions...

Race Season is upon us all...

You can smell the hard work in the cool brisk winter air as cyclists of all shapes and sizes prepare for "the race season". This winter has been great and I've been fortunate and had the best base training ever. Not that my racing history is extensive but anyways, last year I thought I knew what I was doing preparing for the race season but I really feel I'm prepared now, better than ever. I have had an amazing off season full of logging base miles/hours and now it's time to go fast!

Everyone has races they want to do, love to do and so forth. One thing is for sure, I will be going after an overall podium finish in the SERC series, that being said I will def do 7-8 SERC races without a doubt. I also want to race a few PRO XCT events as well, these races are the bigs! I never would have thought I'd be fast enough to tow the line with the best in the country, but here I am and I want to test myself and all the effort I've put into my training. A few of these races cross paths with some good local races and it's tough making the call. PRO XCT races will cost me alot of money/time in travel and etc. I have no real sponsorship to speak of. I work at a bike shop and earn very little money. For every dream there is sacrifice. The first race in the PRO XCT series is just outside Austin, TX and is called Mellow Johnny's Classic. Its a UCI c1 level race and promises a huge turnout with all the best in attendance. The date for this race is less than a month away and is also the same day as Snake Creek Gap. Right now, I'm sitting second overall in the Snake TT series with a decent cushion back to 3rd place by about 20 mins or so. March is the last race and I would expect everyone's times to greatly improve, meaning if I don't race the March race, my January time of 2:47 will compete with those in March. That's a toughy! I really want to race it again, I am in better shape now and really feel I can improve and at least beat Thomas Turner's January time. I fully expect him to come out and destroy his January time as well. It's all just a gamble...

 All that said, I've decided Mellow Johnny's is more important. I need to gauge myself and see where I am at going into XC season. I will not get the push I need racing Snake Creek. I will completely get my ass handed to me in Texas and that's what I need.

I want to wish the best of luck to all of my friends going after the coveted belt buckle at Snake Creek and all those just going drop the hammer! Make me proud and kill it!

No comments:

Post a Comment