Monday, March 4, 2013

MJC PRO XCT #1 (Fear the Beard!)

I don't even know where to start with this one. Simply having the opportunity and chance to race in the PRO XCT field is amazing. I've never been one to live a life of "woulda coulda shoulda". If you want something to happen, you make it happen. Saturday I stood aside 61 other competitors all gunning for their best performance in what was the hardest race effort of my life.

Billy, Sean and I took Sean's sweet-ass Mercades Sprinter van to Texas for stop #1 of the Pro Cross Country Tour, the Mellow Johnnys Classic. Located west of Austin at Flat Creek Ranch, the first race of the season promises a shit ton rocks, cactus and all around fun racing bikes.

I'll keep this post short and sweet, this weeked was one I will never forget! Photos are in no particular order, I'm just lazy.
1k to go sign, lil stinger of an uphill that led into a cattle trail on the ranch that was a fast section with one uphill rock traverse before the finish line.


Shreddin' some Downtown Austin fun after the race. Downtown Austin is INSANE, plus they have an arcade with free games if you drink...


Billy soakin' in the VIP lounge area the day of preride. Incredible scene seeing how the top riders are treated. None of seem to take it for granted which is cool. But must be nice!


Little butt shot action of me preriding one of the uphill rocky sections.


No shortage of rock and dust in Dripping Springs, TX. I was beyond please with my bike setup for this race. It could not have been any better!


The race has TONS of spectators. Had a few dudes heckling me for my Aviators and beard. Needless to say I was the only pro rider wearing aviators and rocking a beard, but that's just how I roll! This was taken after the race, so much dust in the beard!


My buddy Andrew Sorey and I always do this before big races. Helps with motovation when you go to deep, dark and lonley places in races when all you wanna do is die, you're riding your lungs through your chest and you look down and dig even deeper!


Anyone who follows professtional cycling should know who this is. We ran into MTB national champ and USA Olympian Sam Schultz downtown after the race, what a great dude! With him was also his teammate and current U23 national champ Russell Fitzenwald.


Bad shot, but this is the inside of the Sprinter van. Traveling in this things was a dream! Huge thanks to Sean Leader!

I make this blog more for myself and reflection of past experiences so if anyone reading has any questions or comments you can add me on FB or message me stuff at KYLEADAMTAYLOR@GMAIL.COM
I really appreciate everyone reading. It's funny how alot of my friends asked if I won this race. HA, simply put, NO. I did not. I started in 47th position and finished 34th moving up 13 spots. I am beyond satisfied with the outcome. Of course, I'd love to do better. I will keep grinding it out and eventually I'll get a better starting position and maybe some sponsorship.

All in all, the race was a success. I'm so pumped to continue this year in high spirits and race my heart out to continue up the ladder in this sport I love so much. It will take alot of sacrifice and hardwork but I am game more than ever! I've had a piece and now I want it all!

Thanks for reading.
-KAT

2 comments:

  1. Sick dude, that's pretty amazing. To move up 13 spots in that field sounds solid to me. Sounds like a blast. I'd love to get into MTB a bit more later on.

    Reuben D

    ReplyDelete