Monday, July 29, 2019

2019 Laramie Trail Epic

Greetings y'all! It's only been a few years!

This past weekend I rode in my first race since 2016, and even then, I was just doing a few CX races in Tennessee. I have been struggling with a constant knee issue for over 4 years now. I am managing it better than ever throughout alot of effort and care I've learned over the years. I basically have zero cartilage left in my right knee and barely any remaining in my left knee- it causes alot of issues, but what can you do? Life goes on!

I've been riding a decent amount this summer, more than I have over the last few years. So, I thought i'd throw my hat in the ring and race. I have a dear friend Natalie, she and her husband live in Laramie, Wyoming and during a visit- I saw the flyer in a coffee shop. And I looked over at my wife, Carmen, and said, "I'm gonna do this!". So, I did.

The Laramie Trail Epic is a 62 mile, 2 lap 31-mile each loop race consisting of an acclaimed 8300ft. of climbing, I think that is high, but the climbing is stout none the less. The coolest thing about the course was it is 100 percent dirt. Most of the race is singletrack, but there's a bit of dirt road in there too, which makes downing fluids and food alot easier, so thankful for that!

The race started a bit more mellow than I anticipated, I upped the pace a bit on the first little roller and had very little response so I cooled it back and sat on Ben Parmen's wheel headed into the woods. Ben has had a flawless year and a better guy couldn't have won this race. He is such a good rider and even though I just met him for the first time, I can tell he is a good soul. I was marking Ben's wheel because I came to race and honestly believed I could beat him. I asked a few mutual friends where he was the strongest, so I knew what to expect and well, I was met with unanimous, "He doesn't have a weakness"! Ben was so strong on the descents, I was staying with him with more ease than I anticipated but it was also catching up to me. I'm a small guy at 5'8'' 125 lbs and I was working harder in the DH than the uphill. I eventually just had to let him go. I had a feeling I'd never see him again and I was right, so a MASSIVE congrats to Ben, dude earned a great victory.

I settled into my own pace but was soon met with severe back pain for about an hour straight. I was able to slow down and stretch it out, I was doing this about every 2 mins for nearly an hour! I even stopped on a few hike a bike sections and laid down to stretch it out. Luckily, this was helpful and once I was passed by Ben's friend, John, I was extra motivated to not lose another spot! I pushed hard until the end and was lucky enough to come in 3rd overall. I can only think my back spasmed due to the fact I haven't been pushed that hard or raced in so long, I was just tense overall.

This race has stoked an old flame, so maybe Ill go out and actually train and do some intervals and race again soon! I kinda have the Kokopelli ITT on my mind, perhaps I will go for the record in September! Who knows!

Take care and thanks for reading.
I'd like to say a special thanks to my wife, Carmen for being so cool about me racing again after all my health issues, throwing out my back this past winter and my knee, etc... I only have one body and I think racing again makes her a bit nervous. But I've already come to terms with needing a knee replacement at some point anyways, might as well make it sooner than later! haha

-KAT









No comments:

Post a Comment